This post is also available in: Serbian
What tools do you need for decoupage?
- Items– which we can decorate
- Colors– usually used acrylic colors. I use Marabu decorlack or decormatt.
- Scissors– for cutting motives
- Napkins (three-layer) or decoupage paper– for decoration
- Glue– for decoupage
- Varnish– for finishing
- Brushes– for coloring and gluing
- Else– tweezers, sponge
Decoupage: the basic technique
I do decoupage on this box of cigars:
1. Prepare surface – once you have selected your item to decorate, make sure the surface of it is clean and dust free as the varnish magnifies any imperfections.
2. Cut out pictures – select your pictures and cut them out. If a white edge shows around the picture you have cut out, colour the edge with a crayon/pen that matches either the picture or the background on which it is to be used.
3. Arrange the pictures – before you glue the pictures in place, ensure you are happy with the positioning. Use tweezers for placing tiny pictures.
4. Glue the pictures in place – smooth out any wrinkles and wipe away any excess glue with a barely damp sponge.
5. Varnish the pictures. Ensure the glue is dry before starting to varnish and leave the varnish to dry thoroughly between each coat. Anything from four to 15 coats may be needed depending on how thick the decoupage paper is and how smooth and durable a finish is required. To achieve a finely lacquered finish you will need to sand lightly after a few layers of varnish and wipe away all dust. Keep repeating this process until you are happy with the finish.
It looks like this when i finished….
At my work you can see crackle effect, for that i used crackle glaze. Here you can see how to make crackle effect. You can also watch the video Decoupage for beginners. Enjoy…..